Language learning ups and downs

Two young girls, maybe about age 9, rang my doorbell.  They were empty-handed, but at first I thought they might be trying to sell me kinderpostzegels again.

They spoke in Dutch, but realized, "You speak English?" Yes.  "But also Dutch?" Yes, a little (my default answer even though I understand more than a little).

Then began the flurry of Dutch again. (This time, there was no switching to English on their part.)

"Sorry? A little slower, please!" I requested.

"Oh, okay." They enunciated their words though I still had no idea what they were talking about.

All I understood were the following phrases --

a good cause

cancer

a dog that was let out

do you have a dog?

When I answered no to that question, they left...

I'm just terribly confused and wish I had some secret recorder so that later I could find out what was really said.

~*~

Like this post and want to receive updates of new posts? Please consider subscribing to my blog via this link!

Comments

Popular Posts